Running a business in the contemporary world is both challenging and exciting. There are many opportunities that abound in the current globalized business setup. With the advent of internet technology, it is easier for both large and small brands to reach a wider market. All you need is a professional website and a solid search engine optimization (SEO) strategy. On the other hand, you have to deal with unique challenges that keep mutating, which require a fluid marketing strategy.
Why Choose WordPress CMS?
If you are angling to penetrate the online market, you have to build a high-performance website. The choice of the content management system (CMS) largely affects how you will fair. WordPress (WP) CMS is the platform of choice for most websites and blogs and for many good reasons. A WP website or blog is easy to set up, customize, scale, and manage. You don’t need coding skills to run your business website. In the vibrant WP user community, you have a reservoir of knowledge where all issues are quickly resolved.
Speeding Up Your WP Website
Now that you appreciate the reason to use WordPress, it is time to look for a solution to one of the major problems that affect most online businesses. The performance of your website in terms of speed should be a priority because it can easily determine whether your online marketing campaign will take off or fail.
According to a 2014 web survey, 44% of online shoppers get anxious when there is a delay in a transaction and go on to abandon engagement. 51% of online shoppers in the US say slow speed is the main reason why they abandon a purchase. The same study shows a 2-second delay leads to abandonment rates of up to 87%, and considering the difficulty that is generate leads is an important amount.
Considering the total cost of abandoned shopping carts is more than $18 billion, it is obvious why you should find ways of speeding up your WP website.
Here is a quick speeding up WordPress guide with key areas you should consider:
- Correct choice of theme – Avoid complicated and cluttered themes with lots of in-built features which will slow down your site.
- Avoid excessive use WP plugins – Plugins are necessary to increase functionality of your website but excessive use will slow down your site.
- Clean up your database – Over time, your database will get clogged leading to slow loading after queries.
- Optimize images – Visuals are important for SEO but you should compress them to avoid slow load speeds.
- Try lazy loading plugins – This allows images to load one by one instead of the site waiting for everything to load.
- Stop hot linking – Add code to stop hot linking as this practice uses resources available on your site hosting leading to slow speeds.
- Turn off pingbacks and trackbacks –These are outdated WP features and you should disable them from your dashboard.
- Render blocking resources above the fold – This means they are only loaded when the browser requests for them.
- Go for traditional web-safe fonts – Avoid WOFF (Web Open Font Format) and WOFF2 formats which require your site to make requests for the font to be fetched from another server, thus affecting speeds.
Enabling compressions, browser caching, minimizing HTTP requests and choosing a reliable web hosting service are also important in enhancing your website’s loading speeds.