Today I’m continuing with answers to the questions presented to me by my customers and readers. And question we will work with today is equally important to the blogs of every size because it deals with most important aspect that determines blog success – Targeted Traffic!
In the image above you can actually see the less common variant of problem from a blogger who already gets decent amount of visitors and simply need to expand and continue with the growth. Overcoming traffic plateau is EXTREMELY important as each and everyone of us will have to deal with it, at one point or another…
How To Overcome Traffic Plateau And Get More Targeted Traffic?
First I want to say – Congratulations!
If you are facing same “problem” as a customer who submitted question above – you have managed to achieve already more then many blogs ever will. 1800 unique visitors per day is nothing to sneeze on and quite an accomplishment! In fact in some niches it might be close to maximum of what you will see, unless you start taking more direction actions…
Step 1 – Evaluate Where Most Of Your Current Traffic Coming From
This will be the most important step as we need to know exactly What Works for you right now! And in order to get this done – we need some form of Stats Tracking implemented that provides us with fairly detailed information.
If you haven’t been using Google Stats before – you need about a month worth of stats to get more or less accurate picture on where most of your visitors are coming from. Once you identify your traffic sources – move to step 2
Step 2 – Isolate 3 Traffic Sources And Identify What Promotion Associated With It
Time is precious and for us to increase amount of visitors coming to your blog we need to identify which of your promotional efforts or perhaps SEO strategies work right now and concentrate more effort on it.
Implement Rinse And Repeat Strategy!
If something is already working for your blog it only makes sense to do more of the same to get even more traffic. Couple examples could be:
- Search Engines show up as major traffic source but when you look at what content brings most of the traffic you find that you have many posts deliver a bit of traffic each but combined create a large Volume!
Conclusion – Your SEO Efforts work and each post properly optimized for search engines delivers traffic even though only just a bit each post individually.
Action Plan – Do a long tale keyword research, write more posts optimized for ranking for long tale ranking.
- eZineArticles.com shows as one of the biggest Direct Referrals.
Conclusion – your article marketing works as designed and article directory delivers you not only the traffic you need but also new loyal readers and blog subscribers.
Action Plan – Continue your article marketing efforts and simply increase number of articles you submit. If you simply double the number of submitted articles you should effectively double the number of new visitors from that source.
And same principal can be applied to ANY traffic source. All you have to do is Identify The Source, Associate Promotional Effort Responsible for it, Rinse and Repeat but increase intensity!
In my personal experience 80/20 rule applies perfectly to the traffic driving strategies – 20% of your efforts will deliver 80% of your traffic and in this portion I simply ask that you identify what 20% of your Traffic Driving Effort produce results, cut out the other 80% and then…
Double Your “Proven To Work” Efforts – Double Your Traffic!
Now you still left about 60% of promotional efforts left unused after you cut out what is not working and doubling what does. So lets put this effort into…
Step 3 – Finding New Sources
While strategy above should help you overcome the traffic plateau and effectively get a lot more of visitors, it is based on idea of simply taking advantage of what already works and ignoring the fact that these sources might have their own limits.
Reality is – if you don’t branch out and continue to search for new sources of traffic – you will eventually hit the plateau again. Unique Visitors number might be a lot higher but problem will still be same – luck of growth.
You simply must continue to grow, don’t settle on any single strategy and when you find one that works – add it to your 20% of the “working efforts” and continue to search for new ones. This will obviously be different for each blogger as it will be determined but what you currently do that works. Here are some of the more common:
- Article Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Forum Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Blog Marketing
- Link building
- Your own strategy here…
You get the point!
And here is what I have found other bloggers say about Traffic Plateau and How to Overcome It:
- Darren Rowse in 6 Reasons Your Blog Traffic Might Be Declining [And What to Do About It] stated: “While we all want to see our traffic rise the reality is that every blog has days, weeks and even months where traffic levels out or even decreases. This can be quite distressing for bloggers who have big hopes and dreams for their blogs.”
- Tibi Puiu in Get Your Blog Moving: Break The Plateau! writes – “And just like life a blog will pass through several stages of existence from birth, to its moment of climax, to its inevitable death. During its lifetime, if it’s long enough of course, a blog will fluctuate numerous times on up-down scales and ever so often you’ll find that for a limited time it doesn’t go up, nor does it go down, but just stagnates. This is called a plateau.”
- Daniel Scocco in 4 Steps to Increase Your Blog Traffic shares – “Just make sure to execute the 4 steps as planned and to spend the two hours and a half every day (obviously if you have more time available you can expand the time spent on each of the four steps proportionally)”
Also Possibly Related articles by Zemanta
- Article Marketing For Improving Your Website Rankings (ronmedlin.com)
- White Hat SEO tips for Bloggers (seodoz.com)
- Track Your Seo Performance (franklinbishop.net)