With hundreds of additions to the blogosphere each day, it can seem nearly impossible to make a blog stand out. Of course, there is always the possibility of hiring a blog consultant. However, many people choose to go it alone (at least in the tight-budget beginning). If you are one of those do-it-yourself blog marketing hopefuls, here are 26 tips to get you started.
1. Create a memorable domain name (stay away from hosted services – you don’t get to choose your own name). You can…
- Go for a stand alone option – www.MyKillerBlog.com
- Add to an existing site – www.MyKillerSite.com/blog
- Utilize a sub-domain – blog.MyKillerSite.com
- Install blog software you can customize (i.e. WordPress).
- Choose a cohesive design.
- Check out popular keywords and develop a glossary (use tools like Keyword Discovery, SitePoint, SEOBook, etc.).
- Once you’ve established a glossary, create keyword rich categories.
- Make sure you are optimizing your template by using things like RSS subscription options and unique title tags.
- Enable automatic trackback function.
- Create a blogroll full of authoritative blogs and websites.
- Utilize available tools like Google Webmaster and Google Analytics
- Submit your blog URL to major blog directories, RSS and search engines.
- Star a link building campaign.
- If you use video, interact with vlog directories.
- Write and distribute a press release about your newly launched blog.
- Go looking for other industry blogs – comment on their recent, relevant posts.
- Keep the content fresh. For an authoritative blog, post 3-5 articles per week. For a news blog, post 3-5 articles per day. Make sure you are always sharing unique and quality posts.
- Always reply to comments made on your blog.
- When applicable, cite the source of your information.
- Don’t hesitate to mention popular bloggers by name/blog title and include their link. They might return the favor.
- When linking to other posts from your blog, use keyword rich anchor texts.
- When relevant, use a keyword in the post title and at lease once in the article.
- Use social networks to connect with other bloggers. If they know about you, they might link to you.
- Always include your blog URL with your contact information. If you list your phone number, email address, and website URL, why wouldn’t you publicize your blog too?
- Interview other prominent bloggers in your industry and share their story on your blog.
- Use social media to highlight particularly great content on your blog.
- Feature your Feedburn badge once you have over 1,000 subscribers.
- Attend industry conferences and events. Get press credentials courtesy of your blog. While you are there, make connections with industry leaders while increasing your knowledge about the subject. After the event, write content for your blog.
Give these tips a try and then let us know what you think. Do you know of a DIY marketing tip we left off the list? Have an encouraging success story? Share!
Guest blogger Jessica is a freelancer who runs various blogs. She has learned the above tips by marketing a blog about PS3 problems http://ps3problemsv.com, how to make hair grow faster http://makeyourhairgrow.net, and Orlando movers http://mymoversorlando.com.