Content is the King – this simple rule will always remain true, whether you are building a simple HTML page or a Web 2.0 site. [tag-tec]WordPress[/tag-tec] is an excellent platform to build your own [tag-tec]Web 20[/tag-tec] site after some small additions.
This [tag-tec]HowTo[/tag-tec] is built as I go and everything I share in it is what I use myself based on multitude of information I have combed through and some personal experience. Please feel free to comment on it, as I would greatly appreciate your opinion.
In this article I will discuss some additional plugins you will need to make your blog stand-out and deliver targeted traffic, while protecting you from SPAM and help you monetize your blog. Hey, you publish information people need – why not get paid for it, right?
1. Making your blog Search Engine Friendly. [tag-tec]SEO[/tag-tec] is really not that difficult and there are many articles already written on this subject so I will not cover the detail. Here are the plugins I have found (based on recommendations) to be an absolute requirement to make you blog friendly not only to your main readers but also to search engines:
- Optimal Title – this plugin simply allows you to move your post title in first position and make it friendlier for SE. Highly recommended if organic targeted traffic from Google is important to you.
- Another WordPress Meta Plugin – while meta tags are not as important as they used to be for search engine optimization it is still advised to provide information in meta tags that is relevant for your particular post or page. At the very least it will help you page to be properly displayed in search results and increase click through rate.
- Google XML Sitemaps – help Google and Yahoo find all your pages. This plugin creates a fully compliant sitemaps that you can submit and specify proper priority for your posts and pages. Help search engines learn what is important on your site and you will be greatly rewarded.
2. Spam Protection, enhancements and monetizing on your blog. Assuming your content is first class, (otherwise why would you publish it?) there is nothing wrong with getting paid for your efforts and protecting your blog from abuse. Following plugins I have found useful and highly recommend:
- Spam Karma 2 – an ultimate spam killer for WordPress and you shouldn’t even try to run your blog without it. Install and configurations are easy and allows you to tweak your settings over time to provide a perfect balance between usability and protection.
- Feedburner Feed Replacement – blogging without feedburner shouldn’t be allowed. If you content is something that people would want to know about – this plugin is all-in-one for all your needs. Feedburner also provides you with a huge number of ways to continue bringing your visitors back to you blog via subscriptions and other widgets. Web 2.0 is made easy using tools provided, so make sure to install this plugin.
- WP-Print plugin is a simple convenience plugin that creates a printable version of your post or page. Your visitors will appreciate it and install is easy, so go ahead and do it.
- aLinks – this one is a must have for monetizing your blog. Allow you to create a contextual keyword link to ClickBank, Amazon or simply one of your other sites. Besides AdSense this one is an ultimate in generating some income from you Web 2.0 WordPress blog.
So there you have it, all you got to do is install the plugins listed and create your very own Web 2.0 blog using power of [tag-tec]Wordpress[/tag-tec].