Ugly Does Not Sell: 5 Reasons to Look at Your Blog
It seems like a modest notion. People are drawn to attractive things. But some bloggers appear to overlook that. They think that the content of their blog is more vital than the design. Well, they are wrong. The most enlightening blog in the world will not be effective if it is indecipherable. Here are five things to look for in your blog.
1. Legibility– First of all, no reader will visit your blog for five seconds if they can’t read it. Is the text nearly the same color as the background? Do ads muddle up, cover up, cut up, or hover over your posts? You have a two second window of opportunity to hook a reader and draw them in. You’ll miss it if your site appears like it was planned by a kindergartener.
2. Attractiveness – This goes along with legibility. Does your site look nice? No, don’t tell me what’s written on it- just look at it. Is it appealing? Do the colors complement each other? Is the pattern set up in an attractive way? Do the pictures have borders? Are they the same size? Do you have pictures? Are you uninterested and just looking at a hunk of words sitting on your screen? Add some zing! Spice it up. Don’t go to extremes, but color and photos are great.
3. Usability– Can users get around on your site? Make sure you use all the widgets you need to make it simple to navigate through your blog. You don’t want users getting frustrated and departing, so make sure your blog is easy to use and doesn’t take a lot of effort.
4. Flow – Going along with the notion of easy to use; does your site flow? Does it logically progress from one post to another, or is it a jerkyjumble? Let the user’s eye move naturally, and avoid chopping up your site into little lumps of commotion. The less sidetracked readers are, the more they’ll read and the longer they’ll stay.
5. Coherence – At first this point seems almost the same as the first one, but it is not. Beyond just the appearance of the text, the color mixture, can a reader comprehend what you’re saying? Is your grammar right? Are you writing in proper English? Do you get your argument across without beating around the bush or using words that necessitate a dictionary? Remember that most readers have a reading level of around fifth grade. So unless your audience is strictly the well-educated, keep your blog easy to read.
Making a blog attractive really isn’t that hard. Consider what you look for in a site. What are your likes and dislikes? Go from there. Simplicity and ease of movement are key. Just stick to the basics and there shouldn’t be an issue. And remember not to spend so much time on the appearance that you forget to write!
Guest Post By: Melanie Slaugh is enthusiastic about the growing prospects and opportunities of various industries and writing articles on various consumer goods and services as a freelance writer. She writes extensively for internet service providers and also topics related to internet service providers in my area for presenting the consumers, the information they need to choose the right Internet package for them. She can be reached at slaugh.slaugh907 @ gmail.com.
Tags: blog, blogging, blogging tips, Guest Post