Duplicate Content penalty is one of the most misunderstood and at same time one of the most abused topics in Internet marketing and blogging. It is being “sold” as a proven fact by many looking to sell some form of a “solution” to others, not willing to take time to check the claims…
But I KNOW You Are Smarter Than That!
Last Google algorithm update only added to this controversy and created a new frenzy around the topic. And while I’m not going to argue that UNIQUE content will outperform Private Label Rights articles I would like to invite you into a quick facts checking process.
Shall we see what is truth and what is fairy tales?
What Is Duplicate Content?
I have previously talked about duplicate content on this blog but lets recap what we actually know:
- Duplicate content can lead to pages being not properly indexed – Google has spoke on it and I recommend you read it
- Duplicate content generally refers to same content on your site being shown on multiple pages without indication to search bots which page contains the original. This one is common to improperly configured blogs where you full Post shown on front page, single page view, archive pages, tag pages, etc. Can be easily avoided by either using “more” tag as I do on this blog or showing excerpt through modifying theme files. Also implementation of “canonization” (rel=”canonical”) on your blog clearly identifies which page contains original. SEO plugins, such as “All In One SEO” or “Yoast WordPress SEO” will do it for you when properly configured.
But does it actually mean that using same content on different sites, such as what we use for Article Marketing will lead to Google Penalty or not being indexed?
Look At The Facts
Before you buy into any “duplicate content solutions” I recommend you re-read the Google explanation on what it perceives as duplicate content and actions they are willing to take.
I might be misreading something, or perhaps the fact that English is my second language but NOWHERE on that page did I find a statement that your site will suffer if you use Article Marketing to build links to YOUR site. PLR articles work quite nicely for that, even without spinning.
- Yes, it will help you if articles you use for marketing are each more unique than the others.
- Yes, Google does try hard to remove from index same content that exists on multiple sites.
- And No, they don’t always succeed in doing it.
In fact I want to share with you a short story of how same content published on multiple sites is indexed by big G and shown to people…
A few weeks ago I started getting Google Alerts on my name, that led to articles indexed by Google, all with same topic:
“A Bloggers Look at Alex Sysoef’s Expert WordPress Program”
I have watched this process of indexing and results are quite interesting, especially considering that latest algorithm change supposedly prevents this type of content being indexed. See for yourself how many sites got indexed with this article:
Keep in mind, that new sites are added to index every day and I still get alerts on it but close to 5k of sites with exactly same article already indexed by big G and they don’t seem to have any problem with it. Go ahead, verify it!
As big G say – it might not provide the best user experience by having same article presented from multiple sites but they don’t seem to mind indexing and presenting it to people who search.
Unique content is still a must have for any site striving to build an authority and I highly recommend you take action to prevent your content from being stolen by content scrapers.
Article Marketing still works and will continue to work because I don’t believe big G or any other SE can create an algorithm smart enough to filter it out completely.
Before you believe any claims that offers you a solution for a problem that DOESN’T actually exist – check your facts! Marketing on Internet is based on testing, it is based on tracking and KNOWING what works and what doesn’t!
As always your comments and opinions are welcome! I’m open for discussion based on facts.