You’ve taken some wonderful pictures with your camcorder and now you want to share them with other people. Or maybe you just want to be able to keep them in a more usable format. So here are some general guidelines on how to copy camcorder to DVD.
Basically, there are two ways to do this. You can copy the camcorder tape directly to a DVD recorder or you can copy it to your computer and burn a DVD from there.
Here are some general instructions to follow if you’re copying from a camcorder to a DVD recorder:
- Connect the camcorder directly to your DVD recorder. Do not plug it into the TV. Find the input selection button on the remote control of the DVD recorder or on the front panel of the recorder. Depending on the brand of your DVD recorder, change it to one of the following options: AV-in, Line-in or Aux in.
- Find the audio/video cables that came with your camcorder. Plug them into the AV outputs of the camcorder and place the opposite ends into the AV inputs on your DVD recorder. These may be located on either the front or the back of the DVD recorder according to the particular model you have.
- Place a blank DVD in the recorder.
- Put the tape to be copied in your camcorder.
- Press the play button on the camcorder. Then press the record button on the DVD recorder and the recording process will begin.
- When the recording is completed, press the stop buttons on the DVD recorder and the camcorder. Some disc formats require an additional finalization process before you can remove the DVD from the recorder. Just follow the instructions that came with your particular DVD recorder.
If you happen to have a miniDV or Digital8 camcorder, you may be able to use an iLink cable to copy the video to your DVD recorder. Not all DVD recorders provide this option, but if yours does the input will probably be on the front of the recorder. You will need a special type of iLink cable called a Firewire to connect the camcorder to the DVD recorder.
Here are some general instructions to follow if you are copying from a camcorder to DVD using your personal computer:
- If you want to copy camcorder to DVD using your personal computer, connect the camcorder directly to your computer. Typically, you would use a USB port connection to do this. You can usually find an available USB port on the front panel of your computer.
If you have a digital camcorder which uses the Digital8 or MiniDV formats, it is very simple to connect your camcorder to your computer. You just need to have a Firewire port on your personal computer.
- Follow your particular camcorder’s instructions to transfer the movie files to your computer. Once the file has been copied to your computer hard drive, you will be able to burn it to a DVD.
Learning how to copy camcorder to DVD may seem a bit overwhelming at first. However, if you follow some simple instructions, soon you will be doing it like a pro.